‘Progress’ Women Welfare & Health Centers
Women reared the next generation of a population and no society could be healthy, progressive or at peace with itself which neglects this crucial half of its population, lesser in dignity and in rights. Women play a critical but unacknowledged role at every level of nation building and recognizing this contribution in a more visible and rewarding way is a prerequisite for a vibrant democratic culture and of respects of human rights
Talking about women brings to mind grave injustices perpetuated upon them throughout history. Even in the present so called modern times except for a few countries we live in a male dominated world. Women in general have been subjected to all kinds of sufferings, inequities, injustices, oppression and harassments. Though being more or less equal in number with men they always remained the weaker section of the society, which is now identified with their sex and this continues for a great majority of women even in these modern times.
Women reared the next generation of a population and no society could be healthy, progressive or at peace with itself which neglects this crucial half of its population, lesser in dignity and in rights. Women play a critical but unacknowledged role at every level of nation building and recognizing this contribution in a more visible and rewarding way is a prerequisite for a vibrant democratic culture and of respects of human rights.
About The Centers
‘Progress’ Women Welfare And Health Centers are women friendly, women supporting, family focused and community based and participated programs that supports women welfare and development, especially focusing on the low income women in the underprivileged and marginalized communities of the urban slums and the rural areas. These services are provided completely free of charge.
Progress’ is making efforts in this direction by focusing on the welfare and health care of both the mother and child through imparting education and awareness on the importance and management of routine and minor medical ailments, sanitation and hygiene, breast-feeding, child spacing, vaccinations and other health related subjects. In addition to treatment of common community ailments, items like contraceptive pills, condoms, re-hydration salts, milk powder, vitamins and nutrients are also provided, free of charges.
These centers are staffed by qualified lady health visitors who create a good rapport and coordination both within and between the families and the community, catering to the needs of hundreds and thousands of the underprivileged and the marginalized women.
Aims And Objectives
The major aims & objectives of progress women welfare centers are directed at.
- Providing and encouraging women of low income groups to get actively involved in all spheres of life.
- promoting assess to education, health and employment facilities.
- Advising on reproductive health, mother and child health, health education, treatment of minor ailments and referral of high-risk cases to health facilities.
- Advice on matters of breast feeding, STDS/AIDS, RTIS, treatment of infertility and diseases of female reproductive organs, importance of safe delivery and of pre and post natal care.
- Providing ICUDA (Intra Uterine contraceptive Device) and contraceptives.
- Following and maintaining complete record of eligible couples and acceptors including the provision of special training and refresher courses.
- Discouraging son preferences, encouraging and projecting breast feeding of infants.
- To make efforts to rehabilitate destitute and underprivileged women in their homes and localities including the provision of counseling and guidance services to those who become victims of exploitation and violence.
- Encouraging care and intension to the needs of girl child.
- To provide milk, salts, vitamins and other nutrients to expecting mothers.
- To encourage and assist women in learning vocational skills for gaining economic independence and self reliance.
- To address the day to day problems and issues, providing support by putting families together and connecting people to people.
- To provide information of eligible applicants for financial assistance (Grants, Aid, Zakkat etc) to the relevant authorities and organizations.
- To collect and provide information and data on various women concerns for the formulation of polices and programs for women development.
- To provide a meeting place to voice concern and issues of mother and child welfare.
- To build up on the lessons learned.
Location And Buildings
The women welfare centers are located in neglected, underserved and underprivileged communities in the urban slums and the rural areas. To encourage maximum attendance with minimum inconvenience. They are located in the midst of the community being served.
The centers building comprises of an adequately ventilated single room, measuring at least 15 * 15 sq ft with an attached toilet. Each room has standard fixtures and other items including fly proofing, floor matting, tube lightening, ceiling fan, water cooler, wall clock, LHV’s desk, two chairs, one stool, sitting benches, steel almarah, examination couch, folding curtain and wall charts.
The staff comprises of a qualified and dedicated lady health visitor and a lady community social worker working in coordination and collaboration.
The LHV is equipped with necessary knowledge and practical skills necessary for dealing with women concerns including reproductive health matters, breast feeding, family planning, treatment of minor ailments, sanitation and hygiene and provision of first aid.
The lady community social worker establishes a rapport and liaison with the potential beneficiaries attending the center and make field visits in the community being served with the objectives of creating awareness and delivering information on women, child and family concerns through one to one and group meetings including the distribution of pamphlets and other material for enhancing the knowledge of the women on the subject matters. She also collects and make record of information and data on various social and health problems prevalent in her area for utility of the same for policy making and research .
The centers are provided with the following essential equipments at her disposal.
- Examination Table.
- Folding curtain.
- Emergency Tray.
- Blood pressure Apparatus.
- Battery Torch.
- LHV Kit.
- Minor Surgical Equipment.
- Aseptic cotton and dressing.
- Medicines for routine ailments.
- Contraceptives Pills and condoms.
- Vitamins and supplements, milk powder etc.
For encouraging community participation and responsibility, the supervision, monitoring and day to day activities and requirements of the Centers are carried out by a 4 member managing committee comprising a local community leader a representative of the women being served, the lady health visitor and a representative of the Foundation For Progress. This committee meets every fortnight and reviews and evaluate the work carried out and submits its performance report to the Progress secretariat.
The managing committee is also responsible for recommending deserving and eligible women for vocational training, employment, family support including financial assistance and support.
Support Aand Assistance